As per usual, March has been MAD REAL. It’s the best month of the year because I barely work my real job, I go to #alloftheshows, and most importantly I get to spend more than a week in my personal heaven, Austin during South By Southwest. Just like last March, I briefly fell off the blogging map and off the proverbial wagon of my normal life but I’m back in Wait And Scene action just in time for this month of new music. Before I move on and get back to the reality that is April, I’d like to reflect on the 10 random things I learned in my second year at SXSW:
1) The best looking guy at the party will likely turn out to be the performer on stage. Conversely, if a guy is dressed like a mini-van driving dad who’s only missing a cell phone holster, he could also be the lead singer of one of the biggest buzz bands at South By. Dadcore!
2) Smoking cigarettes is still the most disgusting and least attractive thing a person can do. I would wake up every morning raspy and stuffed up thanks to you fools. In the words of Reggie Watts, “I love cigarette smokers. They look like time travelers from the past where they didn’t know any better about health.”
3) I could live on a steady diet of tacos for all meals as evidenced by me consuming tacos at least once a day in Texas. Shout outs to Tochy’s Tacos and ChiLantro for killing me softly with their noms.
4) Confidence and good conversation skills are key when sneaking into shows using a person’s badge who is not of your same gender. I would NEVER do such a thing but I assume this is the case. *wink*
5) Some of the best connections you make are in those long-ass lines or when using the communal day party sunscreen. Sun protection and conversation, what better way to bring people together in the hot sun? … Oh free, cold booze? You’re right, that IS better.
6) Speaking of which, when drinks are free you suddenly become a fan of things you’d never drink otherwise. “Why yes I’ll take two of your strong vodka and blue Curaçao beverage that looks like vintage airplane toilet water and reminds me of my 18th birthday.” Yum.
7) Vice was right, people do A LOT of drugs at SXSW. As someone who isn’t/never has been in that scene, I think I’ve always been a little clueless about who’s using… but when someone sneezes and then says “Dammit!!”, I totes know what that means.
8) Bucket hats are menswear must-haves in 2014. Dust off those 90s era Tommy H joints!
9) Odd Future concerts are the most terrifying. When possible, always observe from ABOVE the mob. Also if you see good looking group of boys at said concerts, talk to them early or you may look back to see them all bleeding from the face (True Story).
10) It’s easy to fall in love with new places and the people that call these places home. Even though my real life in Oregon is amazing, I really didn’t want to leave ATX when my vacation ended. I can’t wait to see you next year at SXSW, beautiful people of Austin!
Now in typical WAS style, this playlist has nothing to do with the subject matter and everything to do with the fact that these are 10 great tracks I’ve recently discovered. Levels to this ish …